Closets & Drawers
- Contact your local closet design center or see our resources section when
considering the investment of closet organizers. There are organizers for just
about any need or purpose.
- Organizers for shoes, hats, sweaters, gloves, belts, scarfs, pants, handbags and
ties can generate an incredible return on investment by blessing you with
more time and less stress in the "search and hunt" process.
- These organizers are real space savers and you will reduce your search time when
everything is readily seen and accessible. This also translates into: it's easier to put
items away. Therefore, assisting you in staying organized. These items vary in ranges
from $10 to a couple of thousand depending on the size of your closet and the size of
- If you've heard it once you've heard it a thousand times: Avoid holding on to old
clothes until you lose that 20 lbs. or in hopes that it will come back in style. This is a
complete waste of vital space that most of us are in dire need of.
- Understand that the more we let go of that we do not use or need...the more
those in need can truly benefit. No one uses the items when we hold onto
them "in hopes of."
- Feel good about sharing with those who may not be able to truly afford purchasing
Have a garage sale,
donate it to charity,
Note: don't forget the receipt - it's a tax deduction.
bring it to a homeless center.
- Remember, if you haven't worn it in the last 2 years - you will probably never wear it
Weed through your closet on a seasonal basis. Model everything. Invite a
friend over to help critique you in your endeavors to weed out.
How does it look?
Will you really wear it again?
Is it outdated, worn or tattered?
Does it enhance your appearance or was it a favorite item 10
Keep what you have used and LET GO OF THE REST.
- When organizing your closet keep all blouses together. Sort by color and occasion.
Avoid mixing "play" shirts with a "dress" blouses. Do the same for skirts and
- Keep all flannel shirts, skirts, slacks, suits, dresses and play clothes separated. Hang
belts on a belt organizer (under $20).
- Keep shoes off the floor in unsightly piles. Invest in an enclosed shoe organizer to
keep them clean. Make sure it is one that allows you to see through it, so you can find
what you want quickly.
Avoid storing shoes in the original box they came in. You will forget what
you have if you can't see it, and probably will be frantically running late and
have to search for the pair you want to wear that day.
- The majority of closets have only one top shelf that goes entirely up to the ceiling.
You can't stack that high without items toppling over so you inevitably end up with a
lot of "dead space" or a pile of clothes stuffed into every nook and cranny.
- Add another shelf at the midpoint section and store less used items on your new top
- Most closets have a shelf guide bar for the original shelf. Utilize this track and extend
the lower shelf out 6-8". You will maximize your depth space available.
- Purchase shelf dividers for your usable shelf sections. The dividers come in a 12"
height and can be adjusted to any width you need. They clip onto shelf widths of 3/4"
to 1" and are a great way for keeping sweaters, hats and handbags separated and
neatly accessible. Under $20.
When organizing your drawers setup designated drawers for specific
- Purchase drawer dividers for socks, underwear, lingerie and tiny items to keep items
- Use the "balling" method to store socks for kids or spouses who can never seem to
find two of the same color. (place 2 socks together, roll the toes inward and take the
outer band of the sock and slip the balled sock inside itself)
- If you live in a warmer climate zone and the main dress code is T-shirts (like
Maui) consider hanging all T-shirts on hangers in the closet vs using prime
Note: This is a great solution for kids by the way...especially the T-shirt collectors in your life.
- Consider reclaiming valuable drawer space and closet hanging space by
folding jeans and stacking them on your newly acquired shelf space from the
Table of Contents